hotel where 21 people were killed in a militant attack in January, officially re-opened on Wednesday, some six months after the incident.
Kenya, Nairobi Hotel Dusit D2 Reopens After January Terror Attack

The 2019 Dusit D2 complex attack was a terrorist attack that occurred from 15 to 16 January 2019 in the Westlands area of Nairobi, Kenya, which left more than 20 people dead.

The hotel complex located in the Kenyan capital was attacked by al-Shabaab militants on 15 January, with scores of others also left injured.

Top government officials from Kenya attended the re-opening ceremony, including Tourism Cabinet Secretary Najib Balala, Defense Cabinet Secretary Raychelle Omamo, Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed among others.

“Today is less than 200 days since that event happened. Today we are opening this hotel again. Life is back. Life is back, business is back, the spirit and the strength of Kenyans is back, and nobody… no terrorist, nobody… will kill the spirit of Kenyans and its visitors from coming to Dusit,” CS Balala said.

Dusit D2 management said the hotel was ready to resume operations, and had put in place measures to ensure the security of their staff and clients.

Speaking at the event, Dusit D2 General Manager Michael S. Metaxas said the hotel had availed counselling services to the staff that were affected by the events of the 15 January attack.

“As you may have also seen as you came in, we have enhanced the security measures by a notch higher, and they are being put in place right from the entrance of Riverside 14,” Metaxas said.

The hotel complex will be accessible to the public from Thursday, 1 August 2019.

Kenya, Nairobi Hotel Dusit D2 Reopens After January Terror Attack

A Briton and a US businessman are among the 14 people killed when gunmen sprayed guests with bullets and a suicide bomber blew himself up in a terror attack on a luxury hotel in Kenya.

The attackers, one wearing a green belt laden with grenades, were seen on CCTV blasting their way into the hotel and office complex in Nairobi after detonating car bombs outside a nearby bank .

The suicide bomber then blew himself up in the lobby before the other four began hurling grenades and shooting people as they fled or hid under tables.
Kenya, Nairobi Hotel Dusit D2 Reopens After January Terror Attack

Kenyan police confirmed today that the five attackers, up from a previously reported four, had died either via the suicide bombing or were subsequently shot dead by security forces.

President Uhuru Kenyatta said this morning that 14 civilians have been confirmed dead and that more than 700 people had been evacuated to safety from the the 14 Riverside Drive complex - which includes a large hotel known as DusitD2, banks and offices.