The 2020 Oscars will be hostless for the second consecutive year. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences officials decided to invite a string of guest presenters to carry the 2019 prize giving after original host Kevin Hart quit for refusing to apologize for homophobic old tweets, but the event went so well, they are now sticking to the same formula for this year’s ceremony.

Hollywood: 2020 Academy Awards will be without a host

ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke announced the news on Wednesday (January 8, 2020) at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena, California.

“Let me confirm it now, together with the Academy, that there will be no traditional host this year,” she told reporters.

Last year’s Oscars, the first time in over 30 years the show had been without an emcee, proved to be a big hit, drawing almost 30 million viewers, up 12 percent from 2018’s bash.

The 92nd annual Academy Awards will take place on February 9th and air live in the U.S. on the ABC network.

Hart stepped down from hosting the 2019 Oscars following a controversy over homophobic tweets from a decade ago.

He said in December 2018 he did not want to be a distraction and that he was "sorry he had hurt people".

The nominations for this year's awards, to be held on 9 February in Los Angeles, will be announced on Monday.

Talk show host Jimmy Kimmel was the last person to be the event's overall presenter, having hosted the awards in 2017 and 2018.

0 Comments