How to Apply for a Seller's Permit in California

A seller's permit is required if you are engaged in business in California, intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail (this includes wholesalers, manufactures and retailers), or will make sales for a temporary period, normally lasting no longer than 90 days at one or more locations (for example, fireworks booth, Christmas tree lots, garage sale).

How do you register online if I don't want to do so in person?

You can register online for a seller's permit on the California Government official website by using use tax account, or other tax and fee programs. It is the convenient way to apply anytime, day or night; 7 days a week (the system is unavailable from Sunday at 7:00 pm to Monday at 5:00 am, Pacific time for routine maintenance). Many applicants will be able to obtain their permit immediately after they submit their application.

Click here to register for you news seller's permit. Scroll down to the"Register or Apply for a New" section and click on Business Activity or Location.

How to Apply for a Seller's Permit in California

You will be redirected to a page where you need to fill a form form.

How to Apply for a Seller's Permit in California

How to Print a Seller's Permit: Follow the tutorials in this video:

Some important FAQ:

Do I need more than one permit?

If you have more than one place of business (located on different premises), you may need a separate permit for each location. In some instances it is possible to obtain a consolidated permit for multiple business outlets. At the time you apply for a permit, be sure to provide information for all business locations so that the CDTFA will issue the correct type of permit.

Is there a fee charged for a seller's permit?

No. However, the CDTFA may require a security deposit to cover any unpaid taxes that may be owed if, at a later date, the business closes. The amount of the security will be determined at the time you apply.

What are my obligations as a permit holder?

As a permit holder, you are required to:

  • Report and pay sales and use taxes
  • Keep adequate records

You are also required to notify the CDTFA if you:

  • Change your business address
  • Change the ownership of your business
  • Add or drop a partner
  • Sell your business
  • Buy another business
  • Discontinue your business

If you do not hold a seller's permit and will make sales during temporary periods, such as Christmas tree sales and rummage sales, you must apply for a temporary seller's permit. Such permits are normally issued to selling operations lasting no longer than 90 days at one location.

For ore info, visit the official CDTFA site.


Post a Comment